Does the district offer staff an opportunity to install Microsoft Office on my personal computer?
Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP)
Northshore School District (NSD) staff are eligible to participate in Microsoft's Software Assurance Home Use Program (HUP). This program enables you to get a licensed copy of Office 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) to install and use on your home computer at no cost. You do not own the licenses, but all NSD staff may continue using HUP software while you are under NSD employment and as long as the corresponding software you use at work has active coverage (an NSD contract with the vendor for district use). You are responsible for installation. The Northshore Tech Department will not provide installation, troubleshooting assistance or other technical support on home computers.
To use the HUP program and install Office 365 on your home computer:
1) Open a web browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
2) Open the website https://outlook.nsd.org and log in to your district email account with your district credentials.
3) Click on the "waffle" icon in the upper left of the outlook mail window.
4) Click on Office 365 to the right of the Outlook Waffle.
6) In the upper right portion of the next window, click on Install Office and then on Install software in the drop down window . The platform (Windows or Mac) of your home computer will be automatically detected and the appropriate installer downloaded.
Click on the downloaded installer to install the software on your home computer.
Other Home Use Office Options-Open Source (Free Office Programs)
As an alternative to the Microsoft Office 365 option, there are free applications available that are compatible with Microsoft Office document formats and are able to both read and write files that can be opened with your Office applications at work. Here are two options:
1) OpenOffice (Windows & Macintosh Computers) www.openoffice.org
The OpenOffice product includes the office suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more on all common computers. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.
2) NeoOffice (Macintosh OS X Computers Only) www.neooffice.org
The NeoOffice product is a full featured set of office applications including word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation programs for Macintosh OS X (Operating System 10) computer workstations. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge, but donations are welcome.