How do I copy bookmarks on a Windows computer to another computer or browser? How do I export/import/backup bookmarks?
Bookmarks can be exported from any browser and then imported to a browser on another computer.
Bookmarks can also be exported from one browser and then imported into another browser on the same computer; such as exporting bookmarks from Internet Explorer and then importing them into Firefox or Chrome.
Exporting Favorites (Bookmarks) from Internet Explorer
1. Select File --> Import and Export ... from the menubar. If your menubar is not visible; right click anywhere in the gray area at the top of the browser window. In the pop up menu, click on Menu Bar so there is a check mark next to it. The menubar will then display.
2. Select the radio button next to Export to a file and then click on Next.
3. Check the Favorites checkbox and then click on Next.
4. Leave the Favorites folder selected in the next window to export all Favorites, or select a sub-folder to export only the Favorites in that subfolder and then click on Next.
5. Click on the Browse button to select a save location.
6. Navigate to your H:/Documents server folder if you want to save the html file and then import your Favorites to a different computer. In this example, I created a SAVED BOOKMARKS folder within my Documents folder for exported Favorites and bookmark files.
Select a save location on the local C: drive to export Favorites if you would like import them to a different browser on the same computer.
6. Name the file, being sure to include .html (do not use .htm - that file type will not import correctly to Chrome) at the end of the filename, and then click on Save. (Example: type in the save file name as IEBookmarks.html)
7. Click on Export.
8. Click on Finish.
Exporting Bookmarks from Firefox
1. Select Bookmarks --> Show all Bookmarks from the menubar, or use crtl-shift-b to open the bookmarks window.
2. Select Import and Backup from the Bookmarks Window menubar, and then Export Bookmarks to HTML... from the drop down menu.
3. Click on the Save button. Navigate to your H:/Documents server folder to save bookmarks to your server share and then import them to another computer. The filetype needs to remain html. To export bookmarks and them import them to a browser on the same computer, you may choose to save them to a location on your local, C:, drive.
4.Name the file and then click on Save.
5. Close the Bookmarks window.
Exporting Bookmarks from Chrome
1. Click on the Chrome Menu icon in the upper right corner of the browser window.
2. Select Bookmarks --> Bookmark Manager from the pop up menu.
3. Click on Organize --> Export bookmarks to HTML file... in the menubar.
4. Navigate to your H:/Documents server folder to save bookmarks to your server share and then import them to another computer. To export bookmarks and them import them to a browser on the same computer, you may choose to save them to a location on your local, C:, drive.
5. Name the file and click on Save.
Importing Bookmarks into Firefox
1. Select Bookmarks -->Show All Bookmarks from the menubar.
2. Select Import and Backup --> Import Bookmarks from HTML from the menubar.
3. Navigate to the location with your exported bookmarks. Select the bookmarks or Favorites file that you want to import . Click on Open to import the bookmarks into Firefox.
Importing Bookmarks into Chrome
1. Select the Chrome Menu icon and select Bookmarks --> Import bookmarks and settings from the pop up menu.
2. Change the From: drop down to Bookmarks HTML File and then click on Choose File.
3. Navigate to your saved bookmarks or Favorites html file and then click on Open.
4. Click on Done.
Importing Bookmarks into Internet Explorer
Microsoft is discontinuing Internet Explorer in favor of a new browser with the next version of their OS due to security concerns. Internet Explorer should be used only to access BusinessPlus (iFAS/BiTech) within the district. We do not recommend importing bookmarks into Internet Explorer at this time.