How do I install an app on my Chromebook?
Teachers should go to the Chrome Web Store to search for and read about each app that they want to use in their class(es). Make sure the app is compatible on our district Chromebook(s) by installing it on a Chromebook and testing its functionality. Be sure to log in to the Web Filter when testing the app!
To request an app or extension for students, please submit a Web Help Desk ticket using request type 05 Chromebooks -> g. App request (Chrome app, extension, or add-on). Include the name of the app and a link to the app in the Chrome Store. Once you receive confirmation that the app request has been reviewed and approved, students can follow the instructions below to add the app or extension to their Chrome account.
Once an app request has been approved, have your students follow the instructions below:
- Have students log on to the Chromebook with their @apps.nsd.org account.
- In the lower left corner, click on the app launcher
- Start typing the name of the app in the search field. When you see the app listed, click on the Add to Chrome button.
- When the confirmation window comes up, click Add app.
- You will now see the app listed among the other apps.
Important Note about Chrome Apps
Chrome apps are added to the user's @apps.nsd.org account, not the Chromebook device itself. So if a student adds the app on one Chromebook, the student will see that app on any Chromebook he/she logs on to. Because it is not installed on the Chromebook device, you may notice that multiple students will "install" the app on a single Chromebook. This is normal behavior because the app isn't being installed locally on the Chromebook device. It is being added to the student's account on the server.