Google Hangouts has no audio, the microphone isn’t working when I video chat, OR Google Talk is not working.
If the camera or microphone are not working for Google Hangouts or Google Talk, those apps will need to be given permission to use those resources. The Sound Preference Pane in System Preferences may also need to be set to use the computer's internal microphone.
To set the Sound Preference Pane to use the computer's internal microphone:
- Click on the gray Apple in the finder menubar, and then select System Preferences from the drop down menu.
- Click on the Sound Preference Pane.
- Click on the Input tab along the top of the window.
- From the portion of the window that lists sound input devices, select Internal Microphone.
To allow Google Hangouts and/or Google Talk to use the camera and/or microphone:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Select Chrome-->Preferences.
- Scroll to the bottom of the window and select Show Advanced Settings...
- In the Privacy section, click on the Content Settings...button.
- To enable the Microphone: Scroll down to the Microphone section and select the radio button next to Ask when a site requires access to your microphone (recommended).*
- To enable the Camera: Scroll down to the Camera section and select the radio button next to Ask when a site requires access to your camera (recommended).*
- Close the Chrome Preferences tab. When a website or app needs access to the camera or microphone, a pop up message will appear to choose to allow or deny access to the resource.
* For some versions of Chrome, the section may be named Media. The radio buttons in the Media section to enable the microphone and/or camera will be the same as described above.
To enable Voice Typing while editing or creating a Google doc:
- Open an existing or create a new Google doc.
- Position the cursor where you want to begin using Voice Typing.
- Select Tools and then Voice Typing... from the menu.
- A microphone icon will appear.
- Click on the microphone icon to start Voice Typing. The icon will be red while Voice Typing is active.
- Speech will be converted to text as you speak. There may a slight delay as the microphone and Google Talk convert the spoken words to text.
- Click on the microphone icon to end Voice Typing.
- Click on the small "x" in the upper right of the microphone icon window to exit Voice Typing.
Note: Punctuation can be spoken and will convert for "comma", "period", "question mark", "exclamation point", "new paragraph", and "new line". More information about using Voice Typing with Google Docs is available at https://support.google.com/docs/answer/4492226?hl=en. Voice Typing is available in Google Docs, it is not available in Google Sheets or Google Slides.