How do I update my iPad to ipadOS 13?
How To Manually Update iPads to iPadOS 13
Before you update, confirm the following:
- Be sure the iPad is a compatible model (see list below)
- Be sure the iPad has at least 50% or more battery strength, or plug the iPad in to power.
- Be sure the iPad is connected to NSDPrivate (Settings -> WiFi -> NSDPrivate), or your home WiFi network. If you have issues connecting, see KB Article 706 for troubleshooting steps.
- Be sure the iPad has at least 4 GB of free space (Settings -> General -> About -> Available). See KB Article 631 for some tips on freeing up storage space.
Once the above has been confirmed, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update to download and install iPadOS 13. If the update fails, do a “reset” (hold both Home AND Power for 10 seconds) and try again after it restarts. If it fails again, please open a Web Help Desk ticket.
Note: We recommend backing up any critical work before running an iOS or iPadOS 13 update in the unlikely event that the update fails and causes data loss.
Devices that are not compatible with iOS/iPadOS 13
- iPad 2 - highest iOS 9.3.5
- iPad (3rd generation) - highest iOS 9.3.5
- iPad (4th generation) - highest iOS 10.3.3
- iPad Air (1st generation) - highest iOS 12.4.x
- iPad Mini (1st generation) - highest iOS 9.3.5
- iPad Mini (2nd & 3rd generation) - highest iOS 12.4.x