How do I add a district printer to a Chromebook?
Before you start:
- Be sure the printer is powered on, connected to the network, and says "Ready" (not in “Sleep” mode).
- Be sure you are on the latest version of Chrome OS .
- Be sure you are connected to NSDPrivate.
Check to see if the printer is already added:
- Try to print a doc by clicking CTRL + P .
- Next to "Destination," click on the drop-down menu and select "See more."
- Scroll down the list and select the printer you want to print to.
If your printer is not listed or if you get an error message when trying to select it...
Please add the printer manually using the instructions below. If you are still on the Print Preview screen, click "Manage" in the lower left corner (or go to chrome://os-settings/osPrinting ) to bring up the Add Printer window and continue with the instructions below.
- Next to "Name," enter a name for your printer.
- Next to "Address," enter the IP address of the printer.
- Leave the other fields with the default settings (for “Protocol” it should be "Internet Printing Protocol (IPP)." For “Queue.” it should be ipp/print )
- Click "Add."
NOTE: For older HP Laserjet P2015, P2035, and P2055 printers (or if you get the error"Couldn't detect a printer. Please enter printer address again"), follow through the same steps above except under “Protocol” change it from "Internet Printing Protocol (IPP)" to "Line Printer Daemon (LPD)" and leave the “Queue” blank.
You may get prompted with another screen called "Advanced printer configuration." If so, select the model of the printer. Be sure to select the correct model from the list as it will affect whether you are able to use certain features, like double-sided printing or printing from multiple trays. The specific model of the printer can be found on the front of the printer itself. Any letters (such as D, N, or X) that follow the numbers in the model indicate the specific capabilities of a printer.
For additional details, visit https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7225252?hl=en . If you run into any issues, please follow through the Essential Chromebook Troubleshooting Steps . If you continue to have issues, please open a Web Help Desk work order ticket.