How do I use Self Service to install approved software on my district issued Mac?
Self Service is a program that will allow you to install approved software on your computer without needing an administrator's password. All district Macintosh computers should have the Self Service program installed in their Applications folder.
Self Service installs will ONLY complete successfully while connected to the district network. Installations will not complete successfully when your district computer is at home or on other non-district networks.
- Go to the Applications folder and look for the Self Service icon.
- When you launch Self Service, you will be prompted to log in. Use your NSDNet username and password and click the Login button.
- You are now at the Self Service home page. In the middle of the screen you will see a list of Featured applications that you can install. To find other applications to install, you can use the Search Box in the upper right corner of your screen, or you can browse the Categories list on the right side of the screen.
- In the example below, we will install the ActivInspire 1.6 update. On the right side of the screen, select the Promethean category. At the top of the next screen, you will see the Featured - Promethean programs. Below the featured category programs, you will see a list of all the installers available within the Promethean category.
- If you click on the program icon or the little "i" next to the Install button, you will see a description of the program. In some cases, the description window is not immediately visible and only a gray screen will appear. Scroll up with your mouse or trackpad to reveal the window.
- To install the program, click the Install button. At the top of the Self Service window, you will see a progress bar showing the status of your installation.
- When the installation is complete, you will receive a confirmation message like the one below.
In this case, the message tells us that this installer did not install the ActivDriver. Click the OK button and install the ActivDriver update just as you did the ActivInspire update.
- You can also click on the Completed button on the left side of the screen to view your completed installs.
If you have problems installing a program from Self Service please fill out a Web Help Desk work order ticket.
Article ID: 555
Created On: Fri, May 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Last Updated On: Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:27 AM
Authored by: Joe Yamada
Online URL: https://kb.nsd.org/article-555.html